On Sunday, January 12, 2020, at 10:00 a.m., Cinema Art Bethesda will present the Japanese film, Shoplifters. The film is 121 minutes long and in Japanese with English subtitles. It was released in 2018 and was the winner of many awards Oscar nominee for 2019 Best Foreign Film .
On the margins of Tokyo, a dysfunctional band of outsiders are united by fierce loyalty, a penchant for petty theft and playful grifting. When the young son is arrested, secrets are exposed that upend their tenuous, below-the-radar existence and test their quietly radical belief that it is love—not blood—that defines a family.
(Text copied from Official Site.)
- Shoplifters — Official Site
- Shoplifters (2018) — IMDB
- New York Times ‘Shoplifters’ Review: A Family That Steals Together, Stays Together
- The Atlantic Review: Shoplifters Is a Brilliant Dickensian Tale for a Modern Age
- The Guardian Shoplifters review – Kore-eda’s audacious latest steals the heart
Theater doors open at 9:30 a.m., films start promptly at 10:00 a.m. Tickets can be purchased in advance online* or at the door for $15. Come early for bagels and coffee, stay after the film for a discussion.
*After selecting the link to purchase tickets online, select “10:00” to purchase your tickets.