On Sunday, December 16, 2018, at 10:00 a.m., Cinema Art Bethesda will present the French film, This Is Our Land (Chez Nous). The film is 117 minutes long and in French with English subtitles. It was released in 2017 and was nominated for the Golden Tulip International Competition Award at the 2017 Istanbul International Film Festival.
Marine Le Pen was defeated in the French election that brought Emmanuel Macron to power, but her far right-wing party, with its nationalist, anti-immigrant platform, lives on to feed the fear and resentment that begot Donald Trump’s election. This is Our Land is a fictionalized story of an attractive working-class single mother in the North of France who naively agrees to run for mayor, representing the Patriotic Bloc. Lucas Belvaux, who previously directed RAPT, a terrific thriller about a French politician’s kidnapping, deals with another type of kidnapping here: With the help of a charming André Dussollier as the town’s esteemed physician, the Populists’ rhetoric seizes control of the minds of the electorate. With Catherine Jacob as the blonde-bobbed leader who never met an angry crowd she couldn’t make angrier.
(Text copied from Official Site.)
- This is Our Land — Official Distributor Site
- This is Our Land (2017) — IMDB
- Review: In ‘This Is Our Land,’ Nationalism in a Small French Town — New York Times Review
- The political drama ‘This Is Our Land’ is set in France, but it could just as easily be America — LA Times Review
- Inside France’s Most Controversial Film of the Moment — The Atlantic